- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped ham, sausage or bacon
- 2/3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into 1/3rd
- 2/3 stems of celery, plus the leafy center, sliced
- 1/2 cup of white cooking wine
- 2 x 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 14 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- A handful of baby spinach leaves, optional
- Parmesan cheese for the table
- Crusty bread, to mop up the juices!
You will need a pan with a lid
Heat the oil in the pan on a low/medium heat with the smashed garlic to flavor the oil, while you prep the vegetables. Up the heat a little and add the ham, bacon or sausage along with the scallions, celery, herbs, and pepper flakes, sauté for a few minutes, until vegetables soften. Add the chicken thighs and season with salt & pepper, brown meat on both sides. Add the wine and clean off the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves and sugar, stir, bring to boiling then reduce to simmer and put the lid on – cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rinsed beans and warm thru with the lid off if there in an excess of juices or leave the lid on, if it looks just right. At this point add a handful of baby spinach if you have it, serve once the spinach has wilted.
Serve with some Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.